Friday, November 1, 2013

First Photos from 120 film conversion camera

Note: To see how this camera was modified to accept 120 film, click here.

These shots were taken with a No. 2C Kodak Autographic Jr. Converted for use with 120 roll film (See previous blog entry for a tutorial).


I managed to get some photos from this newly converted camera. Since I don't have an enlarger (yet) or a scanner (yet) I slapped the newly developed and still wet negatives onto a window and took some pics of them with my digital camera. Then inverted the colors and adjusted tones in Picasa.

I assume the image quality will be better when I get a contact print done and scanned, so I'll update the site with an example soon.

First an abandoned house down the road. An overcast day, the negative was soft even with about 30% increase in development time. I have a lot to learn about film development...



Next an oak forest from a nearby park. Again, very soft lighting. I had to aggressively bump up the contrast in software. Film was Ilford Pro100, developer was Ilfosol 3. 70F for 6 minutes.



Because of the size of the camera's film gate I was only able to fit 6 complete images on a roll of 120 film. This old Kodak was designed to take 130 film, which was 2⅞" × 4⅞". Thats a lot of megapixels! A challenge is figuring out how far to advance the film, both after it is loaded and between shots. I followed the advice I found on line and advanced the film 8 1/2 revolutions of the winding key after loading, then 2 1/2 revolutions of the key after each shot. It only "kinda" worked, so I'll have to figure out a better way.

Next: How to make hard plastic copies of the 3D printed film spool adapters.




1 comment:

  1. Cool project. Ever make the stl files available for the 120 to 130 spool adapter available? Can't find anything online yet. Thanks

    ReplyDelete